Sponsor

Sunday, January 18, 2015

I Microwaved a Himalayan Dog Chew...

The packaging for our Himalayan Dog Chews says that it can be microwaved when just a tiny piece is left. Nuke it for 45 seconds, and then another 30 seconds if it isn't fully puffed. It's basically a giant Yaky Charm. I've been waiting for Brisbane to finish a Himalayan Dog Chew for weeks now, and it finally happened.
Before.

After 45 seconds.

After 30 more seconds.

The resulting puff was light and crunchy. Brisbane found it delicious.

11 comments:

  1. What happens if you microwave the entire original chew? Does it act like the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man and rampage the city, or just sort of gurgle horribly like a microwaved Gremlin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I'm pretty sure it would just puff up to several times its original size. I like your ideas better though...

      Delete
  2. Mine didn't puff up so I microwaved it again and the plate exploded. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not comfortable feeding such a hard chew to my dogs, fearing tooth breakage, so I microwaved a smaller piece and cut it in half afterwards for the dogs to share. It was much more spongy and in my opinion safer to eat. I am planning on breaking the two large chews i have left with a hammer and microwaving the small pieces. The 3-4" piece that I split afterward was microwaved for about a minute 20. Both dogs devoured their "yak puffs". I will try to break my 8-10" sticks down even smaller for easier cooking. The plate did get quite hot and it was a bit risky cutting the 4 incher in half with a big knife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree.
      I purchased a 2 pack but then found them too hard for my pooch to chew on (And he was too lazy to work on it even though he seemed so happy with the smell)
      Is it safe if I put the whole yak tube into microwave? What should I use to cut it afterwards?

      Delete
    2. Helicopter dog parents. Didn’t know it was a thing. Your dogs teeth can handle it.

      Delete
  4. The directions on the package say to soak the leftover bit in water for 5 minutes before microwaving...fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 2 small dogs love these! I like that the little end pieces can be microwaved. No waste. They are expensive but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the recommended way to heat a soaked yak chew end piece without a microwave?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it’s a little late but if you never got an answer or if anyone else wants to try: I would try a toaster oven if you have one and watch for it to puff. Once cooked, the center will stay hot for about 15 to 20 minutes (if not longer), make sure it’s nice and cooled off before letting pooch have a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, I'm going to give the toaster oven a try, I think it would be safer than the microwave... Also, I don’t have a microwave!! 😆

      Delete